Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sulawesi

Sulawesi is one of my top five favorite place names ever. It's musical, even rhythmic, even kinda groovy. It sounds something like an African name, doesn't it? It's an Indonesian island, an old neighbor of Borneo and the Spice Islands. It' a cousin of Sumatra, my favorite producer of coffee on this planet. It looks like a baby cartoon alligator stomping around:

Chomping on an airplane.

Wow, this shot:

Sexy, splishy, jelly sunwater featuring colorful Sulawesi natives.


...and that's the bulk of what I know so far. One of the cool things about this exercise is that it's giving me a real introduction to places I've little more (occasionally not at all more) than barely heard of. I'm fascinated to discover that Sulawesi has an incredible number of endemic species, including a probably very tasty little number called the Orange Delight Shrimp:

Nom.

Okay, they're kicking me outta the cafe. Rats. See you soon.